1. What are various decision criteria for deciding a location for a business setup? Explain these decision criteria with reference to a location decision for setting up a textile manufacturing plant.
2. Define and explain the term ‘Operations Management’. Explain the role of an Operations Manager in handling Customers and Suppliers in a Supply Chain. Give relevant examples from a Retail Store Operation.
3. Many business organizations have operations in which inventory management is a daily and constant process. Managing a Restaurant is one such business, wherein the procurement and managing various inventory is a very strategic process. Explain the following concepts (with atleast one example) in Operations of a Restaurant business, and conclude how relevant is it in the business?
a. Economic Ordered Quantity (EOQ) (5 Marks)
b. Vendor Managed Inventory (VMI) (5 Marks)
1. Explain in detail the various types of plant layout concepts that area available in operations management. Give examples on where each of these types can be employed respectively. Briefly explain a layout for a Retail store format, highlighting the good points and bottlenecks, if any
2. List down briefly the various inventory management techniques prevalent in the industry. Discuss how some of these techniques would be applicable to a General Store in effective management of their inventories; i.e grocery supplies, etc (assume several inventories of your choice).
3. A prominent caterer is planning to open up a mid sized multi cuisine restaurant. Considering his expertise and knowledge in the food and beverages services, he is confident of getting into a full fledged restaurant operation. You are required to suggest the team on the following points:
a. Suggest a site location for the restaurant, assuming it to be Metro city (you can assume a city of your choice). Give your reasons for the same
b. What strategy would the restaurant adopt for an Aggregate Operation Plan of resources given a time frame of a year?
NMIMS Solution June 20
Q1. List down briefly the various inventory management techniques prevalent in the industry. Discuss how some of these techniques would be applicable to a Medical Store in effective management of their inventories, i.e medical supplies.
Q2. In the competitive business environment, there is a lot of strategic pressure on established companies to compete with the cheaper substitutes as well as maintain quality at the same time. Also there is a recent trend amongst consumers for “first copy/ duplicates” of branded products. Why do you think that these so called “Chinese manufacturers” are able to make products cheaper than most other products available? Also how do you think can competing and maintaining quality be achievable for companies for original branded products like Cadbury, Rayban, etc to tackle the other duplicate products? (10 Marks)
Q3. ABC Ltd is a leading corporate in India in FMCG. After an extensive research by their Marketing department they found out they should diversify into Foods & Beverages. The top management decided to get in the manufacturing of a coconut flavoured soft drink and a coconut flavoured milk based drink. Pumping capital in the venture into the business is not a major concern for the company as they have many regular investors on hand. The company would like to have a major presence with a pan India distribution network
a. Do you think the idea of getting into the business of a coconut flavoured drinks a feasible business/ product on for a FMCG company? Give your views with reasons.
b. Assuming that the business idea would have a very encouraging response, suggest a suitable plant location to set up the beverage manufacturing. Give reasons for the same.
Previous NMIMS Assignment Question
- Explain how the operations strategies are different when applied to a service company such as “Tata Sky” versus a manufacturing company such as “Tata Steel”. (10 Marks)
- What are the key factors that firms consider while designing a facility layout? List five major factors. What kind of layout is best suited for a Pharmaceuticals manufacturing firm? (10 Marks)
- Indian Railways is a name synonymous to an operational activity at a large scale. Give your views on the following aspects of Indian railways
a. There have been several instances & reports of problems faced by customers during booking of tickets through its online portal. What should Indian railways do to make this system world class? (5 Marks)
b. Discuss the concept of inventory management with reference to any one aspect (Food served/ hospitality/ safety, etc.) of Indian Railway. (5 Marks)