IGNOU Assignment Solution
1. It is generally felt that “rural areas are good for locating large plant, semi-urban areas for locating medium-sized plants, and urban areas for small-scale plants”. Comment.
2. (a) Define job design. How has management viewed job design since the industrial revolution?
(b) List the important factors that must be addressed in job design and briefly discuss the importance of each one.
3. Under what circumstances would you use PERT as opposed to CPM in project management? Give some example of projects where each would be more applicable than the other.
4. What do you understand by acceptance sampling? In what situations it is used? Briefly discuss the sampling plans.
5. “Inventory management for slow moving expensive items should focus more on lead time reduction than anything else”. Critically examine the statement.
6. Write short notes on any three of the following:
(a) Intermittent flow processes
(b) Uses of work sampling
(c) Helgeson and Birnie Method of line balancing
(d) Benefits of value engineering
(e) Objectives of codification.